STEPH: Keena, thank you so much for having me and caterpillar over for a visit today. "The Giving Meadow" is my first children's book. I wrote it as a play for my church's preschool Easter play in 2009. I showed Vivian (Gilbert Zabel, publisher, 4RV Publishing) and she offered it a contract. It was a pleasant, unexpected surprise.
CATERPILLAR: You're telling me.
STEPH: Telling you what?
CATERPILLAR: Hatching out of that egg! I was surprised, thirsty, and hungry.
STEPH: You were in a meadow. Couldn't you eat the grass?
CATERPILLAR: Grass? Hardly substantial. Good thing I found Frog.
CATERPILLAR: He shared his water with me.
STEPH: Did you make any other friends in the meadow?
CATERPILLAR: A very nice ladybug shared her grapes and a sweet little bee shared her honey.
STEPH: Grapes and honey? Didn't you get…ah, plump?
CATERPILLAR: I was hungry. Hungry caterpillars get real plump. Then I met snake.
STEPH: A snake? Yikes!
CATERPILLAR: Snake was cool. He shared his apple with me. When I started spinning silk around myself, he got worried and gathered up Frog, Ladybug, and Bee to see if they could help.
STEPH: What happened then?
CATERPILLAR: You have to read the book!
STEPH: Keena, do you have any strawberries? Just in case?
KEENA: Yes, I do.
"The Giving Meadow" is wonderfully illustrated by Stephen Macquignon. Stephen primarily works in the medium of pen and ink and color digitally. He has had the privilege to work with Director Michael Sporn of Michael Sporn Animation Inc. He is also a monthly contributor for Stories for Children's magazine.
Stephen's children's books with 4RV Publishing include Angeline Jellybean by Crystalee Calderwood and Colors by Dana Warren.
"The First Flag of New Hampshire," by Stephanie, will be released by 4RV Publishing next year. It is a TW/Young Adult story.
GOODIE TIME: Leave a post here on the blog. I'll pick two lucky winners to receive an autographed postcard of the cover. Winners will be drawn out of a hat, and I'll return on 19 AUG to announce them.
- 4RV PUBLISHING: http://4rvpublishingllc.com/Childrens_Books.html
- AMAZON: http://www.amazon.com/Giving-Meadow-Stephanie-Burkhart/dp/0982588690/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279556653&sr=1-1
- BARNES & NOBLE: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Giving-Meadow/Stephanie-Burkhart/e/9780982588697/?itm=1&USRI=The+giving+Meadow
Stephanie on the Web:
- Website: http://sgcardin.tripod.com
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1357922219
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/StephBurkhart
- Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Stephanie-Burkhart/e/B003R00R5I/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1
- Associated Content: http://www.associatedcontent.com/join.html?refer=84269
Stephen on the Web:
- Blog: http://stephen-sketch2color.blogspot.com/
- Website: http://www.jacketflap.com/StephenM
- Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Stephen-Macquignon/e/B003K7NUVG/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0